View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Gabocha

Gabocha is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gabocha
Accursed Lands has a much-lauded combat system, from what I hear the fighting-oriented people in the game say. I've never been into combat in games that much, but hey, different strokes.

The way it works for us is that combat is mostly automated, in that you basically just choose to attack something and then the game goes through the rounds for you (you can still talk and stop combat at any point, of course). From there, it's basically a countdown of who gets tired first, or who can damage the other critically. Naturally, if you manage to break your opponent's leg, they'll be knocked down, forced to kneel. If you break the other leg, they'll be defenseless on the ground, unable to parry the slowest hits. Break their arm and they can't attack with it. Break the other and they're a harmless stump. Or, you could go straight for the head and aim for a knockout from the start (though it's pretty difficult to hit, being so small, and whatnot). Or perhaps you've got a weapon so big and powerful you don't really need to aim at all, a score to the body would be damaging enough to knock the guy out in one hit.

PVP is, supposedly, our creme de la creme, but various AI controlled enemies are also pretty smart, and the game animals in particular have put up a challenge for many a hunter.

Now, I say all this knowing you're probably more interested in the lack of a skill grind, so I'll get right on to what probably matters for you. Learning combat skills in AL is like learning any other skill in the game. All it takes is practice. You don't learn how to fight by just going out and killing crap. Well, you could, I suppose, but the biggest mistake most new players make is attempting to kill every wild animal they see. Newbies that act like that usually die quickly. The best way to learn is to simply spar with someone more experienced. By practicing how to parry a blow, you learn how to parry a blow better. By trying to aim for someone's limbs better, you get better at aiming at people's limbs.

Now, naturally, the progress doesn't come easily (don't want to have too many Warrior McUbermiesters around, eh) but any character that's been put in at least a few rough situations ends up with at least mediocre combat skills, so I'd assume that a character dedicated to combat would have the ability to become quite the fighter.

There are also lots of things to fight in AL, but due to our strict IC/OOC separation I can't really tell you about them. Best to find out yourself anyways. Needless to say at this point, Accursed Lands is an RPI MUD. Find a reason for your character to fight, act it out, and everything should come naturally at that point. And for the record, we have lots of newbie support for anyone that asks for it.

IP:
Port: 8000

Our website seems to be down at the moment, but we're rebounding from a situation where our ISP dropped us unexpectedly. Server access is said to be consistant from now on, though.

EDIT: I forgot to address two of your preferances; there's no HP in Accursed Lands. The only numbers you're probably going to see are your age and the date. Also, for the pseudo-realistic effects, the things you talk about wouldn't really be appropriate for our game animals to be doing, but I know that response to attacks, as a feature, exists in the game. Find out how it works by experiencing it; that's pretty much all I can say on the matter.
Gabocha is offline   Reply With Quote