View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
I think that the most important thing to remember is that there are different types of players.  I agree with a Brody in that this is a game - that has at it's roots Tabletop RPG's.  That might not mean anything to people, but in my experience (here comes the match to the fuse) some of the best RPers are experienced "Pen and Paper" or "Tabletop" RPGers.  That's because they are used to knowing out-of-game information about their character, but are still able to Role-play the character very well.

Although I tend to agree that leaving in this information will attrack players that are more inclined for H&S, I don't think it always has to be like that.  I feel an RP atmosphere is a total experience.  It's about all the elements in the game.  If you go the distance to build a great RP atmosphere in all aspects, and leave in the stats for your game - in whatever way you want, real numbers or phrases as Welcor suggested - I think you will attrack players that are able to handle the information.

I hate to say it Jason, but I think you might have formed a biased opinion about certain characteristics of MUDs and then went out and accused all MUDs who have those characteristics of being "non-RP"!  800 MUDs is a lot.  Even for a player and non-admin type MUDer.  I have been playing MUDs for 11 going on 12 years now, and I haven't even tried half that many.  And, as an admin of my own MUD, I try and go out to see what other places are like, to see what the competition is like.
There are many MUDs guilty of what you accuse, but not all.  I would suggest not instantly leaving MUDs who have numbers or phrases, and instead maybe try them a little more.  You might find some good RP MUDs even though they don't have all your qualifications.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote