View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 03:36 AM   #17
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I didn't mean to imply such a solution, and I agree with Baram's view on this point. I strongly dislike implementations where classes and races tend to get paired up - dwarves are the best fighters, elves the best mages, halflings the best thieves, etc. There are no more viable options than if you had no races at all, but you're created a situation where players can make bad permanent choices before they've even entered the game.

In my opinion, the objective should be to make every race and class combination equally viable. Perhaps the orc fighter is able to dish out the most damage, the dwarven fighter can withstand the most damage, the elven fighter is the fastest and the halfling fighter is the best at dodging - but they should all be equally viable. If you specifically want the dwarves to be weaker mages for roleplaying reasons, then give them something else to compensate (eg perhaps even dwarven mages are pretty reasonable fighters), remove that option entirely (eg dwarves can't play mages) or replace it with a different option (eg dwarves have a special 'earth elementalist' class instead of mage). If it's really necessary for one race to be weaker than the others, then the player should be told up front - or better yet, the character compensated in some other way (such as the I proposed on mudlab) so that the PC is still on-par with other characters.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote