View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Yep. We have a similar problem where I play. Nutso numbers of races, a few of which get used to make rapid exp, before reincarnating into something else, then there are a few "major" races. Angel and Demon are top of the list for warrior, priests and sometimes spellcasters. A few others are picked to be specifically spellcasters. A rogue.. If its assassin there is maybe 2-3 that work well, a few more than that with thieves, but the one I picked was Kitsune. The problem... I picked kitsune based on the race description and an assumption (valid at the time) that I would be able to mix spell casting, some rogue skills and priest skills together to produce a well rounded set of skills. I am one of three top level players that is a Kitsune, and one of two such that hasn't ever reincarnated to something else, except once, to fix an alignment idiocy when using resurrection. The other one was forced to reincarnate due to massive bugs in a guild that was shut down to be fixed. We are the oddballs. Everyone else, including the other 4-5 people that still play and are a similar level.

There is virtually "no" integration between the game world and the races, barely any history (though someone is supposedly working on it) and probably 70% of the races are virtually worthless. Imho, the best thing might be a redo of the whole thing, but instead the new staff is heavilly into working out all the obvious glitches, trying to create a more detailed history to connect stuff together and generally improving things that way, while more and more new areas get added on top of it, with no truely consistent pattern. Sometimes this bugs the hell out of me, when I bother to think about it. Though, frankly, having everyone go, "Oh, your a Kitsune? You must be an assassin then?", probably bugs me more than anything else. lol

There was very little thought put into designing a consistent world and not enough proper testing before it went live. The fact that there is supposedly a revamp of the race system and history in the works, only helps those of us that have been around long enough to hope it happens. Frankly some of the stuff we have is "too" distinguishable, thus the pidgeon holing of some races into specific classes, with insurmountable weaknesses, but that also acts against some of them, since the weaknesses of some overpower the benefits so much, no that isn't brand new, and also ignores the rest of the players suggestions, would even consider them.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote