Thread: Tactless idiots
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Any MUD admin who doesn't attempt to stop this sort of thing obviously has no care for the MUD'ding community in general.

A similar sort of thing kicked off on a MUD I used to play. I could name names but I wont. Somehow or another some players got hold of the code and created a new MUD, and people would log on all the time (probably still do to some extent) and spam things like "Code stealers" and "This MUD sucks". Considering the first MUD's origins, it was extremely hypocritical. Of course, most of the people doing it probably had no idea of the origins.

When my own MUD opens for public play, I will treat any occurence of my players logging on to other MUD's to advertise with extreme seriousness. There will be guidelines to make sure players know we do not want this sort of advertising done. ####, I dont even talk about my own game to a couple of friends on other MUD's we play where there are OOC channels. To do so, to me, is to show disrespect for the creator of the MUD you're currently on and is one of the worst forms of impropiety I can think of.

However, there will always be the ignorant few who believe this sort of thing is funny. All we can do as a community is try to deal with them in as mature and responsible way as possible. If these ignorant few create MUD's and have their friends going around other MUD's spamming ad's, I'm sure word will get around on places like this fast enough.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote