View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #32
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Not settled by the vast majority of the community? Let's see...within text MUDs, some of the largest text MUDs use it this way, TMS allows this usage of free, TMC allows this usage of free. Within the community generally games like Runescape (advertised as free to play) have more players by themselves than all text MUDs put together. Google is also on our side.

Oh, and again, the Federal Trade Commission is on our side. Who is on yours again? I've seen a few forum posters. That's it. Seems pretty accurate to say that it's a settled issue. I'm not aware of any lawsuits or legal challenges to this version of the word free. Are you? I've shown you many large, influential organizations (and in one case - the FTC - THE organization whose say matters) who agree with us. Heck, you're even posting on a community site that permits free as used by us.

So who is on your side? I keep asking this of people who argue about this, but oddly, I never get an answer back or I get vague handwaving about "silent masses" and whatnot (nevermind that the silent masses patron games and services that use 'free' as we do in far far greater numbers than anything in text MUDs).

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote