View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Vendayn

Vendayn is on a distinguished road
Looking for a MUD (tired of playing MMOs)

So, I'm getting tired of playing MMOs...but I don't want to play a MUD in MMO form.

Things I'm looking for:
-Fantasy (this is important)...but, I'll take a Sci-fi or other genre based game as well if it has what I'm looking for. Now that I've typed this, Sci-fi, Post Apoc or other genre would actually be pretty cool too, as would Fantasy.
-GM led/made events (this is important too, like monster invasions or something like that)
-maybe PvP but not really required, better if optional, but it doesn't matter too much
-Population doesn't matter too much, but if I go in-game and the game world is completely empty...then that isn't any fun either. I think 10+ people on at once, or at least close to that, is better. More is better as well of course, but I won't be too picky.

-No forced roleplay (I'm kind of new to MUDs, I do learn quick most of the times, but...I tried a RP MUD and was horrible at it. Tried trading with someone, no idea how to trade, and I couldn't ask what commands or anything on how to trade, so we sat there for like 30 minutes before he left. There were help files, but it was rather confusing and by time I got done trying to figure out, he left. And I'm not really a good RPer anyway, guess its a learning process though. RP is nice though, but I want to avoid hardcore RP for now.)

-No cash shop like Iron Realms MUDs have...I don't care too much if there is some kind of bonuses to paying, but in Iron Realms MUDs if you don't pay tons of money, you won't be anywhere near good enough to PvP as those who pay

And here is the unique stuff:
-Non-static MUD, I don't mean by where players change things by PvP and taking territory or whatever (that is fine too), but I mean, I can play over a period of months and see changes, the game world doesn't stay the same. This one is harder to explain, because a non-static game would pretty tough to do...but I don't want the world to just stay the same all the time, maybe things change by events or something...guess that sums it up

-Unique skill/stat/class system...not sure what that would be, but...yeah

-Good crafting system, I love crafting

-Good story/lore progression, this kinda fits in with the non-static world.

-MUD is regularly updated, sort of like the Simutronics MUDs...they have updates all the time on their website. I like that, shows the MUD/game is alive and active, and not forgotten about or an afterthought.

and last but not least, I don't want a MUD in MMO form, or anything that is closely similar to a MMO...MMOs are all graphics, barely any gameplay (except endless grinding). I'm looking for something more...sophisticated...which I know MUDs can have WAY better gameplay than MMOs can, so that is what I'm looking for.

Things I don't like:

-There are some MUDs with those graphical maps as you travel, and its like playing a 2d game, but not...I don't really like MUDs like that, nor MUDs like Aardwolf (is that considered a DIKU mud?) If so, I don't like any of the DIKU based ones. They are too MMO like for me. Don't want to play anything similar to a DIKU mud either, I've tried a few of the good ones, and didn't like them at all. Everyone likes diff stuff though, just I myself really don't like them.

and I think that about sums up what I'm looking for (and not looking for)...I'll add if I think of anything else.
Vendayn is offline   Reply With Quote