View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Vendayn

Vendayn is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a MUD (tired of playing MMOs)

Its not the grinding really (I don't care if there is any), its when all there is to do is kill mobs over and over and thats it. I like variety, like... crafting, PvPing if I feel like it, just sitting around talking...or just fighting if thats what I want, or countless other things to do. Like Aardwolf, maybe I missed it...but, it seemed to focus heavily on hack and slash more than anything. And I don't think the world really ever changed, it was kind of static. I guess I haven't really played too many DIKU muds, I've played more than Aardwolf, but now I forgot what the other ones were.

And yeah, I'm looking for a middle ground in change. I don't want things to be completely static, as that ruins the feel of the world if nothing changes, ever. Thats one thing I greatly dislike about most MMOs...their worlds are completely static.

as for the map, its not the map exactly...but, its the "zones" that I don't like, that seem to come with DIKU muds. By that I mean, to enter say..."Forest of Jewels" you need to go EXACTLY on 32Y 42X, if you go one room over, you are still not in forest of jewels,...you have to actually enter the zone at that exact location, which isn't really part of the world. So you can go all the way around the "entrance" but still not be in Forest of Jewels. Maybe this just comes with the MUD territory, but I thought I remember the Iron Realms ones, the zones were actually part of the world. Maybe because of the map, it stuck out more...honestly, kinda new to MUDs, so not sure if this is all of them or not. But I thought I've played some, where the zones were actually part of the world, and not in an "instance" so to speak. I remember there was one MUD that was like that at least, or a couple that I played...but my memory sucks...

(edit)

But, the "zones" actually don't really bother me...so that couldn't have been it. I think it was mostly the hack and slash style gameplay I didn't like, and the very static feeling world, without a lot (if any, I didn't find it) story to it

I kind of want a MUD that feels like I'm really part of that world, immersion in other words...I'm new to MUDs, so not sure exactly what I'm looking for....so its hard for me to know what exactly I want, but I sorta do at same time.

Last edited by Vendayn : 11-18-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes+new additions
Vendayn is offline   Reply With Quote