View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 12:26 AM   #56
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Umm, Jazzy, you make me sweat just reading about how you write a room. I totally agree in concept but then again it's wize to consider your audience. My crowd is in the 16-24 age bracket and unless all the frills lead to some uber-eq, they could care less.

Connecting zones have to be the most boring things in the world to write especially when your standards are high and duplication is kept low. The thing to me though is they really do need to be precursors to what to expect in the adjacent zones. If the targeted zone after the connector is complex with multiple embedded descriptions I think it's important to make the connector have some embedded stuff too. I usually like to throw in a few 'special' mobs along the way too, just to break the monotony as well as some real flavor as to the type of area you're travelling through.

I recently found a neat trick with coded 10x10 maze zone that allows it to go outside the 'box' of 10x10 and still resets all room connections within the zone each reboot. It's fun and you can easily get away with 12-15 orginal, complex rooms and have them duped into the full 100 which only adds to the maze effect. My first is forest, I look forward to 1k or so for an ocean.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote