Thread: Rapture license
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 02:34 AM   #78
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
My, and I thought I was a cynic! Well, that is an interesting scenario you raise. From my experience in Achaea, this has never happened, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. However, politics are taken rather seriously in a roleplaying sense and running through that scenario, I can assure you that it would never happen. From a purely practical standpoint, the world has a large player base and, just looking at a guild (not a city which is larger), you are talking about "bribing" hundreds of guildmates. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you are rich enough and motivated enough to "bribe" the players for a guildmaster position,  I can just imagine what the reaction would be.

First, you couldn't possibly keep your efforts at bribing hundreds (or even dozens) of players secret (we all know how well secrets are kept on MUDs). Some rival, somewhere, will get wind of it and begin a campaign against you, calling you out as the louse you are trying to "buy" votes. Second, the guild itself will come under scrutiny of the city it resides in (if not the entire world), and turn your election campaign into a public relations fiasco--making Arnold Schwartzenneger and his orgies look like a bake sale. This is a virtual community which reflects social organisms found in the RL--imagine what the media would say if Schwartzenneger offered $1,000 to every voter who voted for him. Yes, you'd be facing that. The guild would become a laughing stock, the city would exert pressure against you. More likely than not (and I could almost guaranty) that you'd be, at the minimum, drummed out of the guild, perhaps even your city. You'd be a pariah, an outcast, albeit a rich one.

Boy, just thinking about the roleplaying repercussions sends shivers up my spine! I hope it does happen one day so I can witness it!
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote