View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 01:33 PM   #25
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
This thread has been bothering me for quite some time.

Let me start by saying, these are solely my opinions. If you must attack anyone because of them, I am the person you should attack.

I have always known that The Mud Companion costs more to make that my subscription covered. I could have received free copies because I had an article in every issue. I didn't though, because I felt bad because I knew that Thoric sunk a very large amount of money into the magazine to get it started. I also very strongly suspected that he never made that money back. I never realized the full extent of his losses. To be honest, I never asked, because I didn't really want to know.

Personally, I am very happy when I get something for less than I know its worth. I am ashamed when I get it at a great expense to someone else though. I think the manner in which Thoric and the magazine has been attacked is dispicable.

Everyone seems to want things for free, but they aren't willing to help in any way. All of the mud magazines are dying because people want to read them, but don't want to contribute to them. I can count on one hand the number of unsolicated articles that I received for The Art of Building in its five years of existance. That works out to one article per year. I never received any unsoliciated articles for the Builder's Bazaar section of The Mud Journal. I bet Mish is still having the same problem. I would not be surprised if Imaginary Realities died for similar reasons.

The community seems to be full of people who are willing to criticize, but very few who are willing to do anything constructive. Usually those who are willing get torn to shread by the rest. Calling the mud community an actual community is a stretch. For the most part, it is a bunch of arguing, bickering individuals who put self gratification above the community. Those who do care are eventually driven out by the packs of wolves that now exist.

Stop bickering and blaming. Do something to help rebuild the community. Contribute.

Thank you,
Neranz Laverani, Usually mild-mannered, but irrate as of late
Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote