Thread: Tactless idiots
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #12
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
In case this little statement is aimed at my post (and I'm guessing it is since I dont recall anyone else talking about "ganked" code) then perhaps I should make myself a bit clearer.

Abandoned Realms is the MUD I was playing at. Forsaken Lands is the MUD which started up based on AR's code (which since, I might add, seems to have advanced far beyond it's origins). Why did I find AR players logging onto FL and behaving as they did to be hypocritical? AR was founded by people who took their code from Carrion Fields.

Do I agree with code stealing? Of course not. I'd be mad as a bull seeing red if someone stole mine. The fact is I'd been playing AR for over a year before I found out how it started, and having never played Carrion Fields I didn't really understand that fact anyway.

Was my post directed in spite at any particular MUD? Nope. It was an example of the level of maturity some of the MUD players around have. Of course, as I said those players from AR may not have know where AR came from, in which case in their eyes no doubt they had a valid disagreement. I merely stated that *I* found it hypocritical since I DID know where AR came from.

Do you feel remorse when you see your players using code that no doubt came from CF Davairus? Of course not, you're not the one who stole it. But perhaps you should think more on the origins of your own MUD before casting dispersions on others. CF is a successful MUD. AR is a successful MUD. FL is a successful MUD. AR and FL might have had dodgy beginnings, but both have since evolved in their own right, as I've no doubt CF has done since the time AR started up.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote