View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Well, it gets bad when everyone in the world has to say 'heel' to their pet. It's like fantasy worlds have building codes for pets or something.

I understand the concern over pets, but I still think they're underrated. I think any sort of npc that a player can control for roleplay purposes ought to be a pretty guarded resource and given to people you know won't do anything too silly with them.

Plus, they're a good prop for people who are having a rough time fleshing out their character. You can't expect everyone to be King Lear on entry; I just recently discovered 'roleplay' meant something different than RPG, and while I think I did pretty well without a pet/sidekick, I know it would've been easier on someone green to have a character foil at one side to give them some contrast. Giving someone a pet for a first character concept would be a good way of nursing them into good RP.

I think that way they can get used to controlling both halves of a conversation well enough to be able to handle a situation where they're at one end and another PC's at the other.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote