View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: MUDs for the visually impaired

Of course your GUI gives an advantage, don't be silly. If there was no benefit there would be no point to it.

And this hurts blind players because they can't as easily skim tactical information. I don't need to read combat messages if I can see my own, and opponent's health in the interface. I don't need to read entrance messages as new people will pop up in the list with characters in the room. I know how much mana and move I have left by glancing at the status bar. If someone closes the door that is the only remaining exit I will notice this almost instantly by the slight flicker in the status bar. Another quick glance gives me a list of spell affects: BlBlGiSa (Bless+Giant Strength+Sanctuary) and a color code will tell me if one of them is about to run out, and I sure won't attack someone with less than one tick left on my sanctuary. If there are any messages I need to read I can highlight them.

Take that away from a player who is used to it and they'll be annoyed and less effective in chaotic combat situations.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote