View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
MightyK

MightyK is on a distinguished road
Reinvigorating MUDs

Hey everyone

It's been a while since I've posted, as I'm not much of a forum-goer, but I've been involved in mudding and helping run muds for most my life now, and I was wondering if there was any interest or dedication among any coder or coding team to do something on the level of game development software for MUDs on mass commercial OSes like Windows and OSX.

It's my opinion that one of the main problems facing MUDs is there just aren't enough good new ones being made these days, and a lot of that has to do with creative and energetic people being unable to create MUDs because they're unable to code. There is nothing essential about MUDs that make this problem unsolvable, there has just been a lack of attention put towards creating a developer kit that does not require any coding.

CoffeeMUD goes the farthest by far that I've seen, but it can still be feature heavy and hard to dive into, and it has baked-in limitations to things like character limits, etc that require coding to change. It's still an exceptional library though, as a lot of the mudlibs out there require a fair amount of tinkering just to get running properly.

I understand that muds started from programming hobbyists and it still runs in that same vein today, but I think if there is to be any big reversal in the dwindling trends of mudding I think there needs to be a layman's developer software or engines in the same vein as Unity, GameMaker, RPG Maker, etc.

Has there been any projects floating around of late that aspire to this? Are there any significant barriers perceived to the creation of such a software product?
MightyK is offline   Reply With Quote