View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Social Media/Facebook Use Survey - Please Read!

The most successful muds are those that have developed custom graphical clients. Even if the server itself , a pretty graphical client and some solid marketing can bring in a lot of new players. A decent browser-based client can also help a mud , although of course you can still as well.

However in my opinion there's a difference when it comes to Facebook. DikuMUD, World of Warcraft, RuneScape, etc, are all much the same type of game, the main difference lies in the interface. But the most popular Facebook games tend to promote a very different style of gameplay - Farmville for example is extremely simple, it requires very little skill or time, and therefore appeals to a different sort of audience to the typical mud.

Having said that, has its own Facebook application - so perhaps some of the more social-oriented muds (such as some of the MUSHes, MUCKs or other TinyMUD derivatives) could find themselves a niche on Facebook as well.

But for the more gameplay-intensive muds, I don't think it's as simple as throwing together a Facebook application and waiting for hordes of players to turn up. I think you'd really need to tailor the gameplay to the audience, which is why I feel that porting mud minigames to Facebook might prove more worthwhile.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote