View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 09:16 AM   #10
Boggis

Boggis is on a distinguished road
I generally like to play a character quite different to my own personality. That's not to say that there's nothing of them in me but I enjoy the challenge of playing somebody who I could never be in RL. I suppose that's why I enjoy playing the sneaky thief / assassain type characters more than any others - gives me a chance to indulge some nefarious doings that would probably land me some serious jail time in RL. I hadn't thought before about what Brody mentioned (IC / OOC distinction) - after reading what he wrote it makes sense to me.

Just as an aside I wouldn't agree with what Onyx said about thieves having to be on their own all the time and not talk to anybody for any length of time. You have to be secretive alright but that doesn't mean you have to be a loner. I've talked about this with a few other players and we've all found that our most successful thiefy type character was the guy who mingled with everybody, had a job which paid alright and generally looked very un-thiefy. This isn't possible on many muds as the type of gear you're wearing (gee... I can't wield this longsword for some strange mystical reason) can often give you away but on RPI muds you can usually make yourself look like anything you want. Then, when you go and steal something everybody will point their fingers (including you of course) at the loner guy who never seems to do any work and thought it wise to wander around with the dark hooded cloak and footpads on. Heh... that turned into a long aside. Guess it's just a pet peeve where many many players seem to play thieves as loner guys in the shadows when there is so much variety that can be shaped around them. Ignore me =)

As for Sapphar's question about helping newbies. Well anytime I've been asked about it I usually advise them to think of a RP concept, fit a class / subclass to the concept and go with it. Unless you're familiar with the world I would advise making a fairly vague concept as this will allow you room to grow into the world as you come to understand it. If they only want to play a certain type of character then let them - there's no point playing some role that you don't enjoy at all. I'd advise them to at least give an alternative role a chance sometime - they might enjoy the change of scenery. The mud I play on has permadeath so the choice of making a particular type of character isn't quite as important as chances are I'll be thinking up a new concept in a few months and I'll try a change of scenery. On muds without permadeath the choice you make in the beginning has some long term effects as you could end up with this character for years so it's probably more important for you to be truly happy with the role.
Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote