View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Elvarlyn

Elvarlyn is on a distinguished road
Re: Lithmeria: The Endless Siege announces release date

That's a great question. Had to stop and think about it carefully, as well as do some research into vision imparired MUDing. Hope what I've come up with below helps.

Let me begin with the bad news. There are going to be a few aspects of the game that a blind player will likely have extreme difficulty with. Sailing and the firing of siege weapons both utilize what is essentially a graphical interface to display the positon of the ship, other vessels, the shore line, possible arcs of fire and so forth. Someone who had difficulty making out individual features on the generated ANSI map would not be a good candidate for steering a ship or firing a catapult.

There are also one or two mini-games that, if used with a voice-reader would probably be too time consuming to be enjoyable.

Now, on the flipside, roleplaying, writing, contributing to the lore and so forth will of course be blind accessible. The pace of emotes and conversation may get hectic with many people in the room, but otherwise a blind gamer should be on firm ground.

Participating in combat, both (PvE and PvP) in Lithmeria as a vision impaired gamer will require more preparation and careful selection than doing so with unimpaired sight, but I don't think it will be impossible.

The biggest challenge would be calbirating ones sounds and voice reader, along with careful gagging of MUD output and using the game's built in features. However, if you combined 'focusing' on your immediate target (a built in feature), shortened affliction names (a built in feature), a custom prompt (a built in feature) and clever uses of gagging, sounds and voices such as those found in VIP-MUD client for example, I don't see why you couldn't be a formidable foe on the Lithmerian battlefield or a mighty hunter in the wilderness.
Elvarlyn is offline   Reply With Quote