Thread: Banned in China
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Yeah, that's why I posted. It's definitely not against all commercial games or all online games. China has a huge, thriving market for them and will be the largest market in the world for online games by 2007.

It's also definitely not a firewall issue, as the player who brought this up on the forums (which are not banned, perhahps because the censors aren't aware of the forum locations, all at ire-community.com) has tried from multiple locations in three provinces over the last couple of months (apparently we've been banned for a couple months at least).

Said player is also able to get to some other MUDs she tested so it appears to be specifically against Iron Realms. I'm just wondering if maybe anyone else knows they've been targetted too.

I wish there was some way I could get a shell account to bounce through in China so I could test this out myself.

It's just a good thing we only run text games and so don't have to care. Relatively few Chinese speak English well enough to want to put up with an English text-based interface. If we were running graphical games I'd probably be kind of ****ed given the size of the Chinese game-playing population.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote