View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #120
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: How many muds have permadeath?

I can't imagine wanting to play a mud adminned by such a callous attitude to a reasonable statement.

Poster A believes and has experienced that their stories are meaningful, deep, rich, and a lot of other good things because their character didn't die a meaningless random death. They bring a host of reasonable evidence, including adult judgement, feedback from other players, common sense, that perma-death doesn't suit their very reasonable standard of high-quality roleplay.

Poster B says that their personal preference is for players that lack that attitude.

We're talking about a single feature. Both have some highly desirable merits. Both have some easily demonstrable drawbacks.

It. Really. IS. That. Simple.

I don't know how hard I would have to try to be so entirely narrow-minded for the sake of maintaining controversy for its own sake. I can't imagine what payoff I would experience in doing so.

Aha. It's a DC/Marvel thing.

DC is better, because dead heroes stay dead.
Marvel is worse, because they don't always.

No...wait. Superman died and came back, so that's not true. I'd better try and come up with some way to 'prove' one is better than the other, so people will abandon one and flock to the other, behind the banner of my clearly superior judgement and leadership, recognizing at last that I indeed am The Voice Of One Crying in the Wilderness for the Betterment of RP.

Okay, everyone, after my interview with Microsoft, meet me and mom and dad's house. We'll show those guys.

Y'know what? I'm convinced. People who prefer permadeath and AFS style MUDs are not only better roleplayers, they're advanced life forms, homo superior. I thank the patience and tolerance of those life forms for clearly showing an inferior the error of his ways. Caveat: I'm inferior, so it takes me longer to recognize superiority.

I thank all who have shown me the ligh-----[Post terminated before a beautiful and moving homage because the writer was killed by a freak fall from his computer chair.]
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote