Thread: Age of Builders
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
I haven't found writing ability to be a terribly accurate indicator of age - although someone's degree of experience in writing usually affects the quality. We've had some terrific writers of ages anywhere from 15-50.

One of the best ways you can ensure that a builder's writing continues to improve is to give them feedback on what works and what doesn't, as well as communicating your expectations clearly. A good editor who explains why they're suggesting specific changes is worth their weight in gold (or obsidian).

On the average, though I can think of many exceptions to this, I have found younger individuals less responsible and/or aware of the consequences of their actions as staff members.  However, that's something that people can learn, and certainly irresponsibility is not something confined to the young - some of my flakier staff members have been full-fledged adults.

One of the duties of a good staff admin is to work with staff members, and on more than one occasion, I've seen someone who I initially thought a little flakey become a real gem of a staff member. Much depends in how willing you are to put time and effort into helping the person grow in their skills.
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote