Thread: Why roleplay?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #10
KeiLyn

KeiLyn is on a distinguished road
My reasons are much like the reasons Siobhan gave. I had an interpretive reading professor that said that experiencing life through only our own eyes is very limiting. Through creative roleplay (whether it be theatre, interperative reading, or MUDs) we can "live" as another person, even if only temporarily. I've only had two characters I've ever been able to "become".

The other reason that Siobhan mentioned that stuck out for me, was the development of character. I, too, have had the experience of watching my characters surprise me. I have one in particular that hasn't gone in the direction I planned. Oftentimes, I have to think back on what's happened and try to figure out why my characters have reacted they way they did. But I take great joy in seeing my characters "live" this way.

The last thing I'll mention may sound rather silly. It isn't a reason that I roleplay, but it affects me nonetheless. It has to do with the old saying about walking a mile in another's shoes. By playing characters that have ideals that may be different from our own, we learn what motivates them. We learn to understand them. And hopefully, our minds are opened to ways of life that are different from our own. I think that roleplaying forces us to become more compassionate in real life. At least, it does for me.

And, as Brody said, I do it because it's fun!

~K
KeiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote