View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #82
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

Hmm. It's hard to catch up on a long thread like this, so I apologize if I missed something.

It's a bit funny how we just had these discussions about how to increase *player* traffic on this site by increasing the relevancy to them, but then drop back into a mode where there's a lot of "protecting a game's interest" mode.

Here are a few opinions on "free":

I don't mind paying in the least. I have in the past bought games, and subscribed to games. And after delving into the gray market of MUDs, I see the beauty and simplicity of those two models. To me, the important feature is transparency. When I buy a game, or subscribe to one, I know what my costs will be. The trouble with all these other payment models, is that they start to rise to the complexity of Enron's dealings to figure out.

I disagree with the person who said that you can try out a game and figure this out quickly. Well, for one, I don't want to spend half an hour to an hour trying to cull out games I might be interested in. There's too many. Second, it's damned tough to figure out. I won't go into how tough it was to figure out the model on one MUD, because the figures aren't provided (only my guild site had it listed for me). And also, you often don't begin to hit the time when such perks become really needed until you get way into the gameplay, nearer to the endgame.

And also, when I consider payment, I do consider what I consider "fair". Most MMOGs have development budgets of $5+ million, and operating costs in the $100+K/month range. So, I don't begrudge them $40 for a box, and $15/month. But a MUD has much less than that. Even $5/month seems like a lot, and probably too much. And so, on an optional payment system, I get this feeling that my $$$ are paying for other's playtime. (As a RL aside, I'm beginning to get this feeling that the reason drugs are so expensive in the USA is that we're making up the profit margin that the companies can't get out of the rest of the world.)

As for what consitutes "free", I don't care what the legal definition is. There are a lot of legal definitions out there that don't match what a lot of people would call "fair". I can fly on an airline "100% free" if I spend $25000 on my credit card. To me the question is this:
What percentage of your users use your product/service without paying?
Get that up around 25%, and I'll grant you that you're being substantially free. (OK, with respect to MUDs, where there's a lot of newbie turnover, I'd like to see that figure for actively played characters over 3 or 6 months.)

Now, about the professional/hobbyist distinction:

I don't see it as a very valid distinction, but then again, I doubt anyone cares so why not put it on, if it eases the path towards more objective searchable properties?

To me, what is more relevant is what's behind such a statement: Do you have 24/7 staff to handle h/w and s/w problems? How fast is content developed? Do you have GMs on 24/7 to answer questions and resolve problems? Etc. How many times have you called a support line for a commercial product (computer or otherwise), and get told to call back M-F 8-5? How many times do you go to a community website at any hour of the day, any day of the week, and get an answer to a question in like 5 minutes? That's why the commercial/hobby distinction is to me a red herring.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote