Thread: Moneyless MUD
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Kitab

Kitab is on a distinguished road
Re: Moneyless MUD

Player A could ask player B to teach them a skill that they know. I suppose for many crafts there may also be some knowledge to be obtained simply from experimenting on one's own. You'd also gain experience when you actually put your skills into practice. You're probably right here; there's nothing new about that. What may or may not be new, as far as I can see - apart from the lack of money - is the concept of forming teams of people to fight specific invading creatures (I had the sense that a lot of games just have you go out to a place that has monsters to fight on your own in order to level up, which is different). But I also envisage different towns/communities, each of which is attacked by invading fiends (either at the specific behest of the game's administrators, or at random intervals), and during which the whole place must pull its efforts together: some would fight, some would protect those who fight and some would protect those who don't, etc. When the battle is won, it goes down in the history of the town, and so makes it more of a significant 'story' event, defined by the actions of the players.

Mob drops...? Is that some kind of candy? (*Checks Wikipedia*) Oh, I get it. No, there'd be equipment available for free when the game began, but after that it would need to be manufactured from raw materials, which might require certain skills which someone would have to teach you. I'm not sure exactly at the moment how the actual process of crafting would be interesting, given that it's a digital simulation; it depends on what the craft is. It would be nice to make the process as realistic as possible, so that the knowledge you learn from those who have experience in it is actual knowledge that you can put into simulated practice, but the commands to do so would only become available when you've learnt them from someone who knows them (e.g. you learn how to spin yarn and the spin command becomes available to you. Needless to say, you'd be able to start your character with pre-learnt skills.) I've never understood why a monster would drop useful weapons or armour (which just happens to fit you!) but I suppose they might 'drop' raw materials that can be used to make items or give them special properties.

You mean knowledge would become the currency? It's possible, but I wouldn't enforce or concretise it.

OK, now let me tell you that I started thinking about this stuff while looking at a game of The Sims. And I thought - I'd find the game more fun if it were set in a fantasy world. As such, another feature of the game might be the implementation of what they call 'needs'. As well as things like HP and MP you'd have the Sims-like things of hunger, bladder, energy and comfort, so that you'd have to build eating, sleeping and resting into your activities. I didn't think these things were necessary parts of the game, which is why I didn't mention them before. I'm still not sure how worthwhile it'd be.

Thanks for the reply.
Kitab is offline   Reply With Quote