View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Any Experience with BlueJ (BlueJay)?

Hey, Darren,

I make this post with extreme caution because I have no knowledge of what you plan for your game or game design.

I can't help you with BlueJ except to tell you that it's a Java IDE, and to point you to this . You will have to talk to your coder about your plans and build towards it together. BlueJ seems to be an object oriented environment. That seems to be a positive.

Be sure to discuss your game design ideas with your coder, and then you're going to have to trust him/her. We can't tell you much because we have no idea what you're planning for your game, your driver, your server, etc.

My main concern is that you've posted several times asking questions about what your coder has decided. That makes me worried that you do not feel that you can trust him/her. Perhaps it's time to sit down and have a long discussion about your goals and expectations and to have your coder tell you if he/she can meet those and what the realistic expectations are for what he/she can code. I'll warn you that you will have aspects of your game design that are probably not practicial to implement via code. It's easier to dream big than to code big, but listen to your coder's explanation. Then, you have to trust your gut. If you don't think that you can trust your coder and you second guess his/her suggestions and applications, then you might need to part ways and find someone else who fits your vision better.

I am not a server-side coder myself. I know enough to build areas and do basic commands, so I have to rely on my coders and the trust I have in them very heavily. I've managed to team up with people who can also explain to me in layman's terms where my designs become impractical. The best thing you can do at this point is to research and read about BlueJ if that's what you guys are going to do. They have a dedicated webpage, so you can glance over it. I don't mean that you need to LEARN BlueJ, but you can take a look and familiarize yourself so that you can understand where your coder is coming from. I've done the same with PIKE when our coders decided to go with that. I still get lost at times, but I can mostly follow along enough. Familiarizing yourself with BlueJ will also begin to help you design the game with basic knowledge of what can be accomplished. You and your coder will be happier.

You seem very earnest about your project. I wish you the best of luck and wish I could offer better advice than this.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote