Thread: mobs that track
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2003, 01:54 AM   #4
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Sorry, it isn't clear. when a track is left in a room, the track is in memory as a combination of race, size, direction, shoes (if they are wearing), and loading (heavy tracks, light tracks...), and % concealment (if they were covered)

this works fine, and mobs can use the same routine as players as far as looking at tracks. The problem arises when a mob loses a trail or (if I enable them) follows a false trail. when it gets to the end I would like (in an ideal world of unlimited processeing power, speed and memory) to have the mob be able to backtrack and not follow the same tracks again, but look for the next (or a different) set of "booted, and heavy human sized tracks", but, I am at a loss of how to implement this practicaly (I can think of a few methods, but it quickly gets out of hand processor of memory wise)

My main aim is to avoid having the id, or name, or a pointer to the character that made the tracks, if Bob is wearing the same boots as fred, and weighs about the same (for simplicity) and they are both carrying the same load, then their tracks should look identical, if I am trackin bob, and I know his boots have a notch cut into the heel then they should be a traceable track. (Ahh if only I had the time/money to do it)
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote