View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #34
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I totally agree, Jaz. Don't view my post as a criticism or trying to point out your past flaws. I honestly go to you and prof when I start wondering what in the world an RPI actually is, and both your posts have inspired me to try to find out. (It's also why I was psyched to go back and find that post from prof linking to the RPIMUD site.) I'm not real big into mud designation and only get involved because I always ALWAYS defend people's attempts to roleplay, and I admire the effort that many, many players put into roleplaying whether or not they chose to play an RPI. When that comes under fire or is ridiculed, I always tend to speak up.

I only pointed out your post that this is a confusion that LOTS of people have had, and I'm not really sure that the RPI community helps to resolve the confusion. And, honestly, I think that "roleplay immersive" or "roleplay intensive" applies to SEVERAL games that I would not think were Armageddon-style. Armageddon/Harshlands/SoI have a very distinctive style to them, in my opinion. I would never lump them in with something like Threshold or New Worlds, and they're even further removed from something like Ancient Anguish or BatMud.

Anyway, I doubt that anyone thinks you sound stupid, or maybe you think I sound stupid talking about RPIs! I was more trying to find out if high fantasy and heavy mechanics (which is what I got from Burrtyr's post) is somehow anathema to RPIs.

P.S. I was totally agreeing with the fact that it's confusing to try to figure out what an RPI is, which resulted in you referring to Inferno as an RPI, not that you were ignorant. Snipped a little bit too much.

Last edited by Milawe : 03-12-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added the PS
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote