View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #24
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do you think happened to LPmuds?

Just because they don't call themselves an LPMud doesn't mean that there aren't some characteristics that remain the same. Plus, there's definitely a distinct difference in "now" and "then". When I first started playing Threshold, LPC seemed to be the big trend. There were several rather large LP muds such as Darkwind and Realms Mud. I've lost touch with Darkwind and haven't heard anything about them for a long time. (Sad, because I totally loved the Garou race. I quit playing when they weren't open to players during an overhaul.) Realms Mud has a few players still, but it's nowhere near the busy mud that it used to be. It seemed like back in the late 90s, tons of LP muds were opening their doors and looking for players. You can go look at the posts now and see that there aren't very many.

I would assume that Threshold started the thread because this is a topic of interest for him and hardly likely to cause a flame war. It's a trend that some of us have noticed and discussed amongst ourselves. Maybe he just thought it'd make for interesting conversation. And ultimately, he got his start in LPMuds. Why wouldn't he think fondly of them and lament the fact that some the old big ones are gone?

Most places don't give you an option to be very specific about your codebase or the language you programmed your mud in. Most players don't actually care unless they hope to be programming or building for the game they actually play. Now, for some codebases, naming the code base also denotes a "look" and "feel" to the game as well as the mechanics. In that case, it helps for people to know. You can list LPMud, but it won't tell a player jack about how the mud is going to look, whether or not it has auto-prompts, or how the combat is going to operate. I'd probably guess that a lot of muds would list themselves as "custom lib, coded in LPC" if they could, but even then, that's really not going to be useful for the players.

Last edited by Milawe : 04-09-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote