View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #15
MikeRozak

MikeRozak is on a distinguished road
Re: Are MUDs the clog dancing of online gaming?

Fair enough, but my suspicious is that the lack of automapping, mouseclicks, multiwindow interfaces, etc. are losing many potential MUD players. Graphics is a separate issue, and although I prefer an occasional picture, I can easily see a newbie friendly client/MUD being written that doesn't have graphics (barring something like a map).

I agree, trying to evolve MUDs into a MMORPG is not really a good idea. That's already been done once.

I agree that MUDs are books and not movies.

BUT, let me use an example about automapping. The action in most books (barring fantasy) is usually un-tied to place. Sure, you know the characters are in Fred's living room having a discussion, but exactly what the living room looks like, where it is, and its relationship to the bathroom is irrelevant. Maps aren't needed.

In MUDs, that information is very relevant. Even books (mainly fantasy) contain maps when they affect the understanding of the book. Books will often contain small images at the start of the chapter (like a sketch of the entrance to the mines of moria, or the goblet of fire), not necessary, but a nice touch.
MikeRozak is offline   Reply With Quote