View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #17
zombiedepot

zombiedepot is on a distinguished road
Graphics definitely make a difference in value simply because of the sheer number in the population. They are called "massively multiplayer" for a reason after all.

I think it was an odd concept simply because the majority of MUDs are free, or have priviledges if you donate. It's no suprise there's an auction site for Gemstone, even though I had not known about it. Gemstone costs about $15 a month, and I'd believe any item there automatically could have value.

Where as the free MUD, I can see items/gold potentially having value, but it won't be much. It would also raise concerns over the virtual economy. This idea seems much less likely, and odd to me.

There is no way in telling whether or not this harms an economy for sure, but in games like Secondlife and Project Entropia where real money is incorporated right into the game... much like real life, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Looking at other games like World of Warcraft where such a thing is forbidden by terms of service, it's hard to tell what is happening with their economy.
zombiedepot is offline   Reply With Quote