View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #97
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Things that make you NOT play a MUD

Really? One page back you wrote, "I'm also against capitalism and commercialization though so go figure.

Backpedaling is fun isn't it?

And if we didn't have commercial text MUDs the most popular text MUDs in history would not have existed. The most popular text MUDs today are also commercial. The text MUD community loves commercial MUDs, as evidenced by those facts. You may not like them, and some other developers may not, but actions speak, and the text MUD community's actions say it's happy to support commercial MUDs.

I think another poster has already pointed out that you don't seem to understand what open source is. DIKU is certainly not open source.

Likewise, without commercial MUDs we wouldn't have many of the great muds in existence that are on top of the mudlists you see at this website every day. I wouldn't typically use any "top mud list" as justification for anything but you brought it up. Fully half of the top 10 MUDs here are commercial, and at least one other accepts money (Aardwolf, which isn't really fully commercial but does accept money sometimes).

And that's not even counting Gemstone and Dragonrealms (both commercial), which would be at the top of the TMS list if they participated in the voting actively.

The idea that one feature set of MUDs is "more right" than another is silly. Subscription charges, pay-for-virtual-item features, etc are just features, no different from having a weather system or a combat system .

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote