View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #19
UnderSeven

UnderSeven is on a distinguished road
Threshold, I personally think the issue here isn't whose right or wrong, it's a matter of what we're talking about.  When I say RPI, I am envisioning a mud that strives to be as close to realism as possible, while providing an enjoyably play enviroment.  

So more or less, when talking about what sort of ooc things to give players, I ask myself if it would affect playability (enjoyment of the game) and if it's more or less realistic.  Some things are given over for playability, like fantasy, magic and such is clearly not realistic, but it's also fun.  However, on the games *I* would consider RPI, magic for instance is limited heavily.

What's my point?  I'm not going to try to argue with your post because I disagree on many levels, but I don't think you're exactly wrong, I just think you and I have deathly different ideas.  I almost wish games like Armageddon, Harshlands, SOI, Fourlands, had their own classification, because frankly they fit so few molds it's not even funny.  

I can't really compare a game like Threshold to a game like Armageddon, because frankly, they're not going for the same thing.  Yes both are after RP, but they're different enough that I would find it hard to classify them together.

So then, I ask is this a thread about what exactly? When we say RPI what do we mean? Clearly there is disagreement on this factor, I wouldn't consider most games out there (99.9%) who claim to be RPI, actual rpis.  

It's hard to find a game that falls into my classification, for one, because there are so few of them, for two because most people don't reconize them as diferent.  Many people would throw harshlands and threshold together, but I would play one and not the other.  It's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of what I'm looking for in a game.  I think it would be nice if the mudding community as a whole would reconize these games 'Murpe' or 'RPI' or whatever you want to call them as being in their own catigory.
UnderSeven is offline   Reply With Quote