View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #12
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Muds only appeal to certain types of people.

Not all MUDs are English-based so it's better to ask if MUDs only apply to people who speak the language that they use. Obviously English is the predominant language used by MUDs and some degree of English proficiency is needed even if that's merely a limited vocabulary consisting of the basic command words used to play the game ("kill", "get", "open", etc). Given that many if not most MUDs' command structures do not employ proper English ("get all corpse") the ability to use the language properly is not essential. I once played an Italian-language MUD by simply learning the words I thought would probably apply (like "hit" and "kill"). Of course, it was difficult because I wasn't always sure what word they'd use to denote a particular action (like the difference between using "hit" or "kill") but for the most part I was slowly able to muddle my way through.

It's far more difficult to work on a MUD if your understanding of the language upon which the game is based is not up to par. Basic vocabulary may suffice in learning to play but descriptions comprised of "corpse get loot" or "room door open west" make for a horrible visual experience.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote