View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #47
Butler

Home MUD: Aardwolf
Butler is on a distinguished road
Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

Well, if you want the 'kids' you got to think how vain they are. They just want graphics. And, if you want to gain a proper foothold in the Massive Multiplayer scene, you need to make one way for more casual gamers to be introduced, as the hardcore gamers are pretty much established with what ever game they've chosen, and the load of MUDs already existing have spread out the actual core mudders that are left. So either make the game more accessible with a simpler interface or try and find some more ex-mudders, and theirs a far more finite supply of ex-mudders.

If you want to compete with MMOs, then you'll need to have a game thats a accessible. That and the graphics/music are the only difference i experience in MUDs, where MUDs dont come out on top. Graphics pull in the younger people, and even some older people, because they initial base purchases or their time based on screen shots, and MUD screen shots leave them cold. The 2 largest markets are going to be female players, which Nintendo has shown involves a slightly casualler approach (i'm not being sexist, just market research) and those vain teenagers who mostly care for Graphics. I was just suggesting making a friendly way to gain new players to MUDs, but then try and use that to draw them into the proper MUD experience. I wasnt saying completely change the interface. That'd be pointless. But if you want to keep everything as it is, then you will only be pulling from the same small market of players.

An optional graphical interface will initially draw in players, and the underlining aspects on the MUD should keep them.

As by insulting new players intelligence, i know what they look for, ESPECIALLY my age range (10-20). They want graphics and tend not to care about gameplay until their about 10 hours in. This range is also the biggest range for videogames. It is also the one that tends not to read as much, and thats why alot will ignore the MUDs. I'm not insulting their intelligence, alot are smart, but they like what they know, and the MUDs have a very different style to MMOs that they know. A GUI helps bridge the gap for introducing them.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote