View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #59
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'm not even sure where the notion of "exploitation" came from. Which kids are being exploited, and how, exactly is this happening?

The charity is getting some great public relations by Logos just bringing up its name in this thread. Prior to his previous thread about it, I'd never even heard of Child's Play. I'm pretty confident that many readers here hadn't ever heard of it til then either.

You realize of course that most non-profs have to PAY for this kind of PR? Do you think the United Way gets all of its advertising for free? Do you realize that even the American Cancer Society has an entire division devoted specifically to public relations, and has to PAY its employees to do their jobs?

Where do you think the money comes from, for such an endeavor? It comes from people who are willing to exchange cash for their name on an ad. The nickles and quarters donated add up, sure. But it's the "heavy hitters" such as baseball leagues that have charity games, and famous entertainers who provide charity performances, who bring in the big bucks to these organizations.

All of these endeavors result in attraction drawn to the donating party. And all of this is intentional. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a win-win situation for everyone. The charity gets the cash it needs, PLUS it gets its name plastered all over the program for the function, AND the party offering the donation gets its name mentioned in the newspapers.

Who exactly is being exploited? Who is "losing" from this situation? Who - is suffering SO much that ANYONE should find a problem with it?
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote