View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: A MUD from scratch

My first online game (God Wars) proved so popular that I was forced to add a hard limit to the number of simultaneous players - the mud was constantly at that limit, with a queue of people waiting to get on 24/7 (the second someone quit, another player would connect). Without the limit (which didn't apply to imms) I couldn't actually log on to my own game, because the server wouldn't allow that many simultaneous connections.

Since shutting God Wars down, several hundred other muds have used the code as the basis for their own games, and although individually they never came close to the playerbase of the original, the engine itself has still been played by a lot of people.

There were a lot of things I did poorly the first time around, and a lot of lessons I've learned from the different muds I've developed over the years, but my current game still has only a fraction of the playerbase that my first mud had (although admittedly, this time around I don't have three computer labs full of fellow University students following my lead).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote