Thread: Racism
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 12:15 PM   #5
Boggis

Boggis is on a distinguished road
I have no problem at all with racism / sexism appearing IC'ly. I play on Armageddon as well and the elves there are, as Riga mentioned, generally distrusted due to their inherent thieving / swindling nature. People won't talk to them sometimes, many Houses won't hire them, the templarate takes a biased view against them, etc. Similarly, magickers are feared and hated by the general populace and the vast majority of people will want nothing at all to do with them. There are well-documented help files for all of this and if you don't want to be the subject of racism / social ostracising then playing an elf or magicker might not for you. If you want to play whatever type of character you can dream up then make a human, dwarf or whatever and RP it out. However, if you want to play a race generally disliked by most people and RP within the guidelines set out in the docs then that opens up a whole new RPing challenge imo. I like Riga's analogy to art - many artists practice various forms, many of which are very strict in what is acceptable in a particular form. I'd agree with Sapphar too that such detail adds to the richness of the world, creates conflict and breathes realism into the game.

Racism / sexism are real issues IRL. Various cultures despise each other - just look at the Israelis and the Palestinians for one of many examples. To exclude them from an RPI mud them just because they are uncomfortable for some players would be wrong imo. It would detract from the realism and feels like political correctedness to me.
Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote