Thread: Racism
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
Riga

Riga is on a distinguished road
Hmmm,

Not sure if you're referring to Armageddon or not, but it definitely has these built-in racial biases.

Elves, specifically, have a genetic and cultural admiration for thievery and swindling. As such, other races react accordingly. I, personally, enjoy these kinds of cultural definitions in my gameworld. In my opinion, it is often these restrictions and boundaries that make for quality roleplaying.

Look at it similar to poetry. Sure, freeverse is fine and dandy. However, by limiting oneself to a traditional structure (sonnet, villanelle, ballad), one may achieve something transcendent. It is by restricting oneself and verbally playing within a form that beauty is achieved.

So, that goes off the subject. To return: I have no problems with this sort of racism in a roleplaying environment. I think it's an educational release to be able to put myself into the shoes of someone who really despises another just for their upbringing or culture. I also find that it's enjoyable to really play up the idiocy of such a person. To get totally hyperbolic with it, bringing it to the point of the absurb. To, in fact, parody racism.
Riga is offline   Reply With Quote