Thread: Review comment
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 03:19 PM   #9
Seraphina

Seraphina is on a distinguished road
Read and appreciated the trouble you took to communicate your thoughts. I am sorry you removed the voting link from your site, not sure why you would.

I don't think you should be ashamed at all from that perspective. I think one of the greatest strengths the free muds have is being able to focus on a specific type of player so creating a world where all players are basically on the same wavelength making it more enjoyable for all. That doesn't strike me as elitism.

Yet another strength of free muds is to be able to ban players quickly without any other justification than in your view they don't fit the style of your mud. In the massive games the individual has to have broken specific rules and there is a review process. Commercial muds can't afford to ban players in large numbers so it probably takes longer to get rid of the disruptive ones.

Concerning the "nobility" aspect. I don't see any in it. I appreciate the fact that some people seem to enjoy creating RP worlds. Certainly I think players should take it into account and express their appreciation. Everyone, even if they are being paid to do a job, like to also feel appreciated for the effort they put in.

On the other hand these are games created by people for their own reasons not charitable activities such as volunteering time or money to causes. Nobility is a pretty strong word. I volunteer time at a shelter for battered women but I don't consider that nobel, just good citizenship. Mother Teresa, Gandhi, that's nobel.

I can relate to that. Change is hard. I hope that people will think about the function of this site, in the past, the present, and the future. Is it primarily a place for creators to communicate with each other? A place to attract new mudders? Other functions? What do the users want from this site?
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote