Thread: Moderation
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #64
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

See, what you sound like want to do is take someone's private property (TMS) and tell him how to run it. Part of freedom is the freedom to do with what is yours as you wish, within various limits. TMS is Lasher's. You seem to wish to rob him of his freedom to do with as he wishes with that which is his.

Would you appreciate someone coming to a party you threw and spending all his time screaming, "I HATE <pick your racial/religious/cultural/whatever minority?" Or would you decide that your freedom to run YOUR party as you wish is a lot more important than his freedom to act like a jerk and tell him to knock it off or get out? Are you violating his freedom of speech by doing so? Of course not, because there is no freedom to behave like that at someone else's party/in someone else's living room/on someone else's forums.

If you want to exercise freedom of speech in a forum, it is extremely cheap to simply start your own. Then you can exercise it all you like. What you're asking for isn't freedom of speech, but the freedom to intrude on other people's property, which is not a freedom that is protected in most cases, barring special circumstances (such as the UK laws protecting people's ability to use traditional hiking paths even if they cut through private property)

You have freedom of speech, within limits. What you don't have is carte blanche to do whatever you want with/on someone else's property, just like I do not have carte blanche to come into your living room and make myself comfortable regardless of whether you object or not.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote