View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a MUD (tired of playing MMOs)

Most muds tend to have an emphasis on combat (the main exception being hardcore RP muds, which you've said you want to avoid), but many do have other activities. It's also not uncommon for people to play multiple muds, which they alternate between depending on what they feel like at the time - as there's (usually) no monthly subscription, there's no reason why you couldn't do the same. But if you want to stick with a single mud, then I'd suggest looking out for features like crafting, extensive quests, minigames, player-run shops/guilds/etc, player-driven economy, trainable pets, optional RP, optional PK, arena battles, etc.

I'd assumed earlier you were talking about a world which the admin frequently update - but this recent post suggests you may be talking about a game in which the players can permanently change their environment. If it's the latter you're after, I'm afraid there are very few muds that allow such freedom, and those that do always seem to use a wilderness/overland system (otherwise you could end up with players permanently destroying hundreds of hours work by setting fire to villages).

Ah, what you're talking about here is a typical wilderness/overland system. It isn't standard in Diku, although there are snippets for adding it, so it's also not an uncommon feature. The majority of muds don't have such a system, but sadly it doesn't appear to be a search option, so you'd have to check manually. Such muds typically list themselves as having the largest possible world size, and their description usually includes some comment about having a wilderness or overland, or having a "really big world", or describes how you can interact with the environment by chopping down trees, digging mines, etc. But if you're not sure, you can just ask when you connect to the mud.

In addition to the suggestions made by Saire, you might also want to check out:

* 4 Dimensions (4dimensions.org 6000) - very rich well-written world, strong emphasis on quests.

* Aeonian Dreams (dreams.game-host.org 4000) - lots of player-run/created stuff and a load of minigames.

* Realms of Despair (realmsofdespair.com 4000) - huge playerbase, lots of social groups (clans, orders, etc).

They may not be quite what you're after, but I think they're in the right direction, and should at least help you get a clearer idea of what exactly you want.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote