View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #6
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
I didn't say the barriers had to be absolute. In fact, I specifically said that they should be able to be learned by everyone. There has yet to be a common language made that has been accepted by everyone on earth.

Your races only need to not have been in contact long enough for them to develop their own languages, or away from other races for long enough, or just politically seperated from others. Actually, my theory is that even if a species were to evolve side-by-side in a symbiotic relationship, differing basic languages would evolve. Look at what smiling means to most apes.

If different languages develop, people are going to want to keep the ones they like the best. We have theorhetical contact with every person on earth, yet there are still at the very least 4000 languages in existance. Even if, in the MUD, culture has existed as long or longer than culture IRL, it's still unlikely that that MUD would have a common language everyone would like to speak. Not to mention the possibility of telepathic and somantic words that may not be pronounciable by other races, but which may be fundamentally ingrained as an understandable component of language in one species' mind, and which may restrict them from understanding something else.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote