Thread: Rule enforcing
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2002, 09:07 PM   #7
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Sorry to take so long to post to this but I've been erm busy, yah, that's the ticket, busy...

Policy by necessity needs to be simple and to the point covering the major "don't do" features of your world, but contain enough gray area to allow 'on the fly' decisions when special circumstances arise. Most places aren't fortunate enough to have 24/7 coverage by an Immortal and as much as possible should be coded. The biggie then becomes do all your Immortal staff use common sense and are predictable in how they handle the gray areas. In my case, some make good decisions, some make some shaky ones and ALL levels are required to answer "what were you thinking!?" when asked by me or a senior manager. It seems to work well.

No matter how many help files or plethora of words in your policies, the techno-mudders or anti-authority pubescent ones will either find a way around a rule or stretch it to the limits requiring tough decisions. My thought is set up a reasonable policy, put in a few caveats that basically say "psst, we're a fascist regime, comply or go away" and tutor your staff in fair application of common sense while holding accountable to not be overly harsh.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote