View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #52
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I'll go one step further, because the accusation that having an "@carrionfields.com" email address changes your in-game influence is so ridiculous. It's almost as good as the prior "KaVir is spiteful and wants to hurt Matt in any way he can manage." accusation, on a topic where KaVir and Matt have been in total agreement.

Jimbob Johnson tosses us $20, because he thinks we're swell. Only thr Implementors (co-owners) receive notice. They see the donation came from "jimbob@yahoo.com", and send him a thank-you note and instructions for an @carrionfields.com account.

Now, let's look at another staff member, Aarn. Aarn, like other Immortals (everyone else on the staff except the co-owners), has no idea a donation even got made, let alone the real name or contact email of Mr. Johnson. However, Immortals do more or less all of the interaction with the players, unlike Implementors. (Players basically never see me in the game, I don't have an active religion or priests, etc.) Unlike me, Aarn has an active religion, plays an active hand in running his cabal, keeps a flock of priests and other followers around to spread his good word.

Jimbob Johnson makes a new character named Malaclypse. He doesn't have to input his real name, email, or any other personal information. He prays for Aarn's favor, hoping to become one of his empowered priests. He secretly has his fingers crossed, hoping his donation will curry some extra favor. Now:

1) Aarn has no way to tell Malaclypse is played by Jimbob.
2) Aarn has no way to tell Jimbob donated.
3) Neither Aarn nor Jimbob can speak OOC to the other. Carrion Fields is roleplay-required, and all interaction is IC. Aarn knows this, and he also knows he's potentially being watched and/or logged for quality assurance purposes.
4) Heck, Aarn can't even see what IP Jimbob is playing from. Even if he could, what good would that do him? The donation didn't come with that information.

That's the extended answer, but I wanted to be clear that the accusation in question could not be more incorrect.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote