Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #16
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
1) I'm no lawyer, but I doubt there is anything illegal with having virtual sex with virtual beings in a virtual environment.

2) I don't think you can say "assume everyone is an adult" because generally speaking, you have no idea how old the other party is. This is my personal objection to online "text sex", but I see it more as creepy/manipulative and not illegal.

3) Our own rules don't discuss sex, and instead deal exclusively with sexual harassment-- when you persist despite one party clearly demonstrating a lack of consent. I doubt this is illegal, but it's not a good thing to permit if you want people to play your game, and that's reason enough to forbid it.

4) Our game is also roleplay-mandatory, which has two important consequences:

- We can and do observe mortal interaction as we see fit, since one of the rules of the game is that all interaction is In Character. The playerbase is generally positive about this, given that we have a number of reward mechanisms which are most often visited on people who don't know they are being observed and evaluated. The assumed lack of potential privacy means people will seek other venues to pursue explicit encounters, which we're fine with.

- This also precludes the type of activities which might involve law enforcement-- soliciting minors for RL encounters, exchanges of personal information, etc., since that's all out of character. If we see it, we already have grounds to remove or suspend the character, and if the intent is clearly shady/creepy, we're more likely to throw the book at the person in question. (Typically, a character who slips OOC would get a reminder not to do it, at least initially. But there's latitude depending on what the player is trying to accomplish via the rules breach.)
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote