View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Welcome back to me!

In this statement you talk about MMORPGs and MUDs which are the same thing. MMORPG=Massive Multi Player Online Role Playing Game which is in affect a MUD. I speak (and I think you do) of Text vs. Graphics, or as I like to relate it to, Book vs. Movie.

Yes, a book can have pictures and a movie can have text (subtitles) but neither overshadows their main genre by utilizing affects of the other genre. A text game relies principaly on descriptive narrative and the player's imagination creates the images. Graphic games rely on graphics, animations, and sound, and the player uses little or no imagination to create images. This is the same as reading a book or watching a movie. The differences are massive and palpable.

I think many Graphic Mud players are coming back toward Text for this very reason. NWA has numerous former "WoW" players who disliked that genre for the very reasons in the paragraph above (amongst other things).

I started out building a MMO Graphic game prior to NWA and am fully aware that the difference in code are minimal in terms of server connection, input and output, but I speak more of content rather than functionality.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote