View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #70
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: Developing from scratch

Uh, ok. Feel free to disagree with me anytime. ;-) I am rather agreeable to that notion. As an aside, I am a long time software developer by trade -- code reuse is certainly part of my vocabulary and practice. However, the act of installing a MUD code-base does not equate to code reuse. I think I'm safe to assume, though, that whomever is doing the install is actually interested in building something, not just merely "installing a game someone else wrote, and running it". And, as such, they will be required to spend time "in" that code base to efficiently reuse its code. That simply does not happen overnight.

I agree with this statement. In my mind, the "established MUD with years of work" would have a HUGE base of content. And, in order to reach the magnitude of an established mud with years of work, you too would have to devote many, many hours to content creation. So many hours in fact, that the act of content creation itself dwarfs the initial effort of either 1). installing and learning a code base or 2). writing a similar featured code base from scratch. That's what I was referring to...

So, what MUD code base is going to give a person a jump start that would allow them to achieve the same magnitude as a well established MUD that's had years of work?
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote