View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #51
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

No that's wrong. Plenty of people favor the quality of writing on MUDs. I don't think MUShes have better writers. That's is all too dependent upon the person in question. I just believe that the MUSH environment breeds a social-only, dialogue-driven roleplay. Which is fine for those that want that, but some people want something else, such as combat-oriented characters and want a realistic character that HAS in-character power to kill another person if it comes down to it. What good would Jaime Lannister be if he didn't have a maxxed out weapon skill such as Swords and Parry, etc. He was a beast, and rightfully so. What about Gregor? I mean, how can I honestly take a Gregor-type character seriously when you don't have a strength stat, and Gregor's isn't off the charts.

The one good thing I can think about MUShes is it would be a good place to start out for somebody who likes to sit around and just talk. Good for the so-called tavern-sitters, and/or socialites of muds which are all too common and a much needed aspect in the roleplaying community. What would the tavern be like if it were empty all the time?

Anyway, we've kind of debated this to the point of exhaustion, and I guess we just have to agree that everything we're talking about is relative to the person in question. My issue with MUSHes still stand. They don't have the tools to make the roleplay believable and in-character. It's just too much like a big chat-room full of people that want to socialize as themselves instead of get in-character.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote