View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: Social Media/Facebook Use Survey - Please Read!

As far as I know no MUD has succeeded in successfully advertising outside of the MUD community.

If one did we'd know as their numbers would steadily increase instead of being stagnant. Gaming wise the competition will be very tough on facebook, with the same problem of finding the right target audience by means other than sponsoring MUD listings and MUD clients.

If I assess the situation correctly several commercial MUDs managed to increase their player bases by heavy advertisement inside the MUD community in the early 2000s. The most notable of these was IRE, at one point I even started calling TMC TIC (The IRE Connector).

Facebook or Twitter won't change this situation as it's very difficult to attract the right people, and the genre is (obviously) not popular enough to create the kind of critical mass that farm ville has.

One thing that should work is creating a MUD listing that is optimized to show up for google keywords likely to be entered by potential mudders, people looking for blind accessible games for example. The requirement for inclusion would be a back link to increase page rank.

The biggest hurdle is that not enough mud servers will join in the early stages to generate significant presence on Google. The next big problem is figuring out what keywords to optimize for. And of course the eternal problem, who gets to be in charge.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote