View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Games exist to perform a specific function, just like most things. Whenever you circumvent the code to make it perform a function it is not intended to perform, then you are abusing the generosity of the game owner, who has provided you with this venue, for this purpose.

Though it's an extreme comparison, it's an obvious one so here 'tis:

A hunting rifle is designed, built, and sold for the purpose of hunting animals. Whether for sport or for food and hides, that is the intended function of the hunting rifle. When a person uses a hunting rifle to kill their next door neighbor, they are not only violating the law, they are also using the weapon for something it wasn't intended to be used for. When the gun manufacturer ends up in the news because it turns out a whole lot of people prefer their hunting rifles to commit murders, it hurts the manufacturer, AND all the people who use the hunting rifle for the purpose for which it was intended.

If you want to play a game, use their code, and whatever client they allow you to use, whatever triggers they allow you to use, whatever scripts and highlights and ISPs and whatever else. You are there because they have allowed you to be there, and supposedly because you want to play their game. Intentionally circumventing their code is cheating of the worst sort, and does nothing but hurt everyone else in the long run.

If you want to talk to your buddies privately, badly enough, then take it to instant messaging or pick up the telephone and dial their phone number, or hey - here's an idea - log off and meet people face to face. If I was running a game and found out someone was making use of such an application, I'd siteban them permanently.

You shouldn't even need to have a rule about something like this. It should be a given. You are playing -my- game. If you want to play your own game, create your own game and play it. That goes for languages, code, private channels, roleplay, PK, everything else.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote